I get it, you are college students. You have a lot of things going on and rarely have time to enjoy a full, healthy meal. But it really doesn’t have to be that hard. One of the easiest ways to level up your meal’s healthy factor is by adding whole grains. Luckily at Campus Dining Services we have lots of options to help you do this. This week kicks off National Nutrition Month and each week we are focusing on a MyPlate food group and bringing you tips to do this in a way that matches your lifestyle.
Whole grains are a vital part of a healthy diet. They are packed with vitamins and fiber, and help you feel satisfied with your meal longer than if you choose refined grain options. Here are some tips for finding whole grains in your favorite Campus Dining Services locations:
- Try your Baja tacos on corn taco shells.
- Love Sabai? Get brown rice with your Sweet Chili Chicken.
- Get your pasta fix at Rollins and @Night using our whole grain penne noodles.
- Whole wheat bread is available at each deli venue at Plaza 900, The Mark on 5th Street, Rollins and Pavilion at Dobbs.
- Whole wheat buns are available at some locations—check out DoMundo’s at the Student Center.
- Wheatstone Bistro’s line of Wholesome Balance meals are delicious and pack a whole grain punch.
These are only hints of all the items we have to offer. This week, we are debuting a few new grain recipes that are both healthy and tantalizing to the taste buds. Take the opportunity to try some of the dishes this week that have grains you may not have experienced like freekeh, amaranth and quinoa. Tell us what you think, if we get a good response you may see these types of things on the menus more frequently.
The MyPlate recommendation is to make half your grains each day whole grains (around 3 servings). The national average is well below this recommendation. With a few good choices, and help from us at Campus Dining Services, you can reach this goal and experience a healthier future.
- Kristen Hasan, MPH, RD